People with mental disorders often suffer from physical illness. This fact is insufficiently emphasized resulting in sub-optimal care and, in many instances, increased mortality. Similarly, people in treatment for a physical illness often have (unrecognized) mental illnesses. These are often not given much attention leading to a longer duration and poorer prognosis of both the physical and the mental illnesses.
The Association has therefore initiated a project aiming to improve the treatment of comorbid mental and physical illnesses.
Until now the Association has been instrumental in the publication of the following review of evidence:
- Leucht S, Burkard T, Henderson J, Maj M, Sartorius N (2007) Physical illness and schizophrenia: a review of the literature. Review. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 2007:116: 317-333.
- Maj M, Sartorius N, Tasman A, Gureje O (eds) (2008) The WPA Educational Series on Depressive Disorders. Revision of 2008. Volume II: Physical Illness and Depression; World Psychiatric Association, Geneva.
- Katon W, Maj M, Sartorius N (2010) Depression and Diabetes. Wiley-Blackwell ISBN 978-0-470-68838-0
- Glassman A, Maj M, Sartorius N (2010). Depression and Heart Disease. Wiley-Blackwell (ISBN 978-0-470-71057-9)
- Kissane DW, Maj M, Sartorius N (2011) Depression and Cancer. Wiley-Blackwell (ISBN 978-0-470-68966-0)
- O’Hara, J McCarthy, J & Bouras N (eds) Intellectual Disability and Ill Health: A Review of Evidence. ISBN 978-0-521-72889-8. Cambridge University Press 2010.
- Kurrle S , Brodaty H and Hogarth R. (2012) Physical Comorbidities of Dementia, Cambridge University Pres , Cambridge, UK
- Gordon A.J (2010). Physical illness and drugs of abuse: a review of the evidence. Cambridge University Press (ISBN 978-0-521-13347-0).
- Sartorius N, Holt, R,I,G, Maj M. (eds.) (2015). Comorbidity of Mental and Physical Disorders. Karger, Vol. 179, 188p, (ISBN 9 783318 026030)
- Leucht S, Burkard T, Henderson J.H, Maj M, Sartorius N. (2007) Physical Illness and Schizophrenia: A Review of Evidence, Cambridge University Press (ISBN 978-0-521-88264-4)
In addition to producing publications, AIMHP has organized a number of symposia and workshops dealing with comorbidity of mental and physical disorders, usually in conjunction with major scientific international meetings.