People with mental disorders often suffer from physical illness. This fact is insufficiently emphasized resulting in sub-optimal care and, in many instances, increased mortality. Similarly, people in treatment for a physical illness often have (unrecognized) mental illnesses. These are often not given much attention, leading to a longer duration and poorer prognosis of both the mental and physical illnesses.
The Association has therefore initiated a project aiming to improve the treatment of comorbid mental and physical illnesses.
Until now, the Association has been instrumental in the publication of the following review of evidence:
- Leucht S, Burkard T, Henderson J, Maj M, Sartorius N (2007) Physical illness and schizophrenia: a review of the literature. Review. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 2007:116: 317-333
- Leucht S, Burkard T, Henderson J.H, Maj M, Sartorius N. (2007) Physical Illness and Schizophrenia: A Review of Evidence, Cambridge University Press (ISBN 978-0-521-88264-4)
- Maj M, Sartorius N, Tasman A, Gureje O (eds) (2008) The WPA Educational Series on Depressive Disorders. Revision of 2008. Volume II: Physical Illness and Depression; World Psychiatric Association, Geneva.
- Katon W, Maj M, Sartorius N (2010) Depression and Diabetes. Wiley-Blackwell ISBN 978-0-470-68838-0
- Glassman A, Maj M, Sartorius N (2010). Depression and Heart Disease. Wiley-Blackwell (ISBN 978-0-470-71057-9)
- O’Hara, J McCarthy, J & Bouras N (eds) (2010) Intellectual Disability and Ill Health: A Review of Evidence. ISBN 978-0-521-72889-8. Cambridge University Press
- Gordon A.J (2010). Physical illness and drugs of abuse: a review of the evidence. Cambridge University Press (ISBN 978-0-521-13347-0)
- Kissane DW, Maj M, Sartorius N (2011) Depression and Cancer. Wiley-Blackwell (ISBN 978-0-470-68966-0)
- Sartorius N, Holt R.I.G., Maj M. (eds.) (2015). Comorbidity of Mental and Physical Disorders. Karger, Vol. 179, 188p, (ISBN 9 783318 026030)
- Kurrle S, Brodaty H and Hogarth R. (2012) Physical Comorbidities of Dementia, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK
- Sartorius N, Holt R.I.G., Maj M, (2015) Comorbidity of Mental and Physical Disorders. Karger Publications, Basel, Switzerland
In addition to producing publications, AIMHP has organized a number of symposia and workshops dealing with comorbidity of mental and physical disorders, usually in conjunction with major scientific international meetings.
In 2019, the president of AMH has been entrusted with the Chairmanship of the WPA Action Plan Working Group on Comorbidity. The Group developed several symposia presented at the World Congresses of Psychiatry and organized a Webinar on the topic in 2022. The webinar is available on the WPA website, among educational materials.
The information presented in the books by Katon et al., Glassman et al. and Kissane et al. has also been presented in sets of slides suitable for teaching purposes and these slides were included in the WPA Educational Materials. They can be freely downloaded from the WPA website.